Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Freedom is never free...

Today, we honor all of the millions of men & women who have valiantly served our great country! Veterans Day...for all of those who made the ultimate sacrifice for OUR Freedom! Just the tought gives me such a patriotic feeling in the pit of my stomach...sadness for those families who have lost a loved one to war, pride...the greatest sense of pride to be a part of the amazing nation & to be so proud of our military! I have the upmost respect for the members of our military & today is special, it gives us a moment to reflect on the sacrifice, the pride & the absolute pleasure we should take in each day we are granted freedom!
I started off the day taking a walk in our small town, past the small memorial set up for Veterans Day. Tall, bold white crosses to symbolize all of those that have been lost...flowers, flags...family member & citizens of the community gathered around in prayer & sharing their own memories, what an amazing, sobering site. I feel so incredibly lucky & know that my job as a Mommy is to teach my girls how important our freedom is, what patriotism feels like, pride in our country...
I then came home & donated to these two sites...Wounded Warriors & Operation Gratitude...both wonderful organizations that help our soldiers & their families...
I keep thinking of my Father & Grandfather who served in Vietnam & WWII respectively, of my friends whose Husbands & Wives are overseas & of their children, what a selfless sacrifice they have all made for us! If you feel inclined, take a moment & honor our Veterans, both present & of generations past, for the service to this wonderful country!

No comments: