Thursday, September 11, 2008

Seven years later...

I can't believe it has already been seven years. Seven years since our beautiful country was attacked...9/11/01.

I don't think there has been a day that has gone by that I have not prayed for the families directly affected by this tragedy & the hero's who parished.

I remember exactly where I was, seven years ago as most of us do...driving in the car, feeling incredibly blessed...as I do everyday. Blessed to have a sweet, giggly one year old in the backseat & my belly full of my second Daughter, due to be born two months later...I was feeling so very blessed. J called me & asked if I had heard that an airplane had crashed into the Twin Towers in NYC? No, I said...I quickly turned the radio to our AM news station & heard the anchor repeating that he thought for sure something had gone terribly wrong with that plane, of course it had to be a mechanical problem, or maybe the pilot was in trouble? Never, in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine something so horrific...ever. I went to my parents house, the closest place I could find with a television & they were already watching...what would turn out to be a week of solid news on both radio & tv. My jaw dropped in total disbelief as the second plane crashed & then again when the buildings fell...my sweet C sleeping in my arms, against my pregnant belly. How could this happen in our homeland, I felt so scared, so much grief & sadness. Over the weeks to follow, I heard story after story about grieving family members, lost Fireman & Police...The entire expierence was something I couldn't begin to wrap my brain around. We stayed close my Hubby & Daughter, watched tv & wondered what would come of this, how it would affect how we go about our daily lives...

I spent my day today remembering, praying for the families affected by 9/11 & our most amazing country...I have never been so proud to be an American. On each 9/11 anniversary, as more time passes...I will never forget the feeling in my heart, in my gut upon the moment I learned about the Twin Towers & the planes that took them down...the plane that crashed in Pennsilvania full of remarkable Hero's willing to give thier lives to save others & the plane directed at the Pentagon, that crashed & left a gapping hole...those stories are plentiful & painful. 3,000 wonderful Americans were lost on that day, seven years ago & I will never, ever forget...

As the years have passed, I have also heard so many stories full of hope, forgivness & love...That helps the memories I have of that day, to know families have been able to go on remembering, but loving & forgiving again. That is amazing to me...

God Bless everyone affected by 9/11...We will never forget...

1 comment:

Royal Rugrats said...

I remember exactly where I was the day this happened too. My oldest son and I sat together today to watch a history channel remembers episode about the twin towers. I can't believe it's been seven years!!!!

Lynn